Thursday, April 19, 2012

"Well, paint my front door red..."



source: Pinterest
 "... and change my name to Elizabeth Arden!"

I've been thinking about changing the color of my front door for some time now, and that quote by Truvy from Steel Magnolias keeps popping into my head. This, of course, led to a google search for the exact quote, which then led to me pouring over page upon page of Steel Magnolias' quotes. My favorite being "...if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!" by the perfectly southern Clairee Belcher. I have a ton more, but this is supposed to be about colors for my front door, not my undying love for all things Steel Magnolias - how about blush and bashful? too much? ok, I will stop now...


source: Wikipedia
 back to the door...

We have a pretty traditional looking house, a colonial with red brick, black shutters, black front door and white trim. Don't get me wrong, I love this look, but we will have been here for 10 years this July and I am ready for a change! Holy cow - did I just say 10 years??? Not to be cliche, but it really is amazing how time flies - this was supposed to be our 5 year house.
We built this house and moved in right after we celebrated our 1st anniversary, sans kids. Boy were we naive, we moved from this tiny little apartment that couldn't even fit a full-sized stove to this 3 bedroom house that seemed so big - I couldn't even imagine filling all of those kitchen cabinets - HA! such a silly girl...
Fast forward 10 years and the cabinets are bursting with STUFF!!! let's not even talk about the closets...

2003, 2010, 2009, 2005 - apparently we really like to take pictures of our house when it snows...
 Where was I going with this??? oh, right, the front door - what can I say, I love a tangent ;)

Not sure if this post by Young House Love lit the spark, but I must admit that I was not initially in love with their color choice. I've never been a big fan of yellow, especially in place of my beloved black. Now I know that yellow is very on trend right now, and I have to admit I am developing a fondness for it. Take a look for yourselves, there's something about this yellow door that keeps drawing me to it. Maybe it's the dark hardware they've paired with this sunny color, it seems to ground it.

source: Young House Love


Not only am I growing bored with the black door, but there is a bit of method to my madness. The front of our house gets full sun ALL.DAY.LONG. Think summer, 90 degree temps, and little boys getting burnt when they accidentally touch the door, instead of the handle. We have had quite a few tears shed throughout the years due to that black door.
We are also in need of a new door handle and lock, no worries, I won't get into that story... Right now it is shiny brass, which does pair well with the traditional vibe of our home, but this could be my opportunity to change things up a bit!

Red is another option, but I worry about the red door next to the red brick. Maybe the white trim surrounding the door would break it up enough?

Getting the husband on board with the color change may be more challenging than actually picking a color, but I've never let that stop me before!

stay tuned... I may make a decision sometime this year...

3 comments:

  1. Funny you posted this... I was thinking of painting my front door too! We have lived here for almost 10 years and it is still factory door white! LOL I want something that stands out because our house is like a cookie cutter house...every other house looks identical and it bores me sometimes! Good luck making your paint choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, it got me of my behind. I painted mine black but since I bought the house in '07 it's been white. Pretty boring next to white siding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! now you need to write a quick blog post so we can see! ;)

      Delete